As we age our body undergoes many changes. Both internal and external. Due to this our whole digestive system also undergoes some changes. And the importance of food safety and following a healthy diet and all the rules of food safety becomes increasingly important. Specifically for the seniors above the age 65 has to be treated with utmost care in terms of food safety.
Seniors above the age of 65 are at much higher risks of getting foodborne illnesses than other age groups. Moreover, seniors who are living in nursing homes are ten times more likely to get affected by bacterial gastroenteritis than others. So, getting acquainted with the food safety rules and techniques is a must, if you are a senior or have one senior loved one around you.
Why Seniors Are More Prone to Get Affected by Foodborne Diseases?
● The gastrointestinal tract holds on to food longer than usual. Hence, there opens up the scope of bacterial growth.
● Our Liver and kidney gradually becomes less efficient removing foreign toxins and harmful bacteria out of our bodies.
● The production of acids in the stomach becomes lesser and slower. Proper amount of acid helps to run the digestive process smoothly and reduces the growth of bacteria. So, lesser amount of acid means the scope to bacterial growth in the gastrointestinal tract.
● Other chronic conditions like diabetes, cancer also increases the risk of getting foodborne diseases.
Signs of Foodborne Diseases
Food borne diseases often regularly known as food poisoning often is accompanied by some common signs and symptoms. These are signs are the following-
● Upset Stomach
● Abdominal Cramps
However, these symptoms can very swiftly increase to create some severe conditions including death.
Tips for Maintaining Food Safety
Our caregivers from Comfort Keepers are very much experienced in food safety issues and have proper understanding of the techniques. So, here we have brought out some tips from them for maintaining food safety in senior years
● The childhood rule of washing your hands applies the same all through our lives. Cleanliness is a virtue, we all know that. So, keep everything from your hands to your kitchen and everything related with food.
● Clean your cooking utensils and countertops with hot water and soap before and after you cook each and every item. Periodically use kitchen sanitizers.
● Always separate raw food like meat and vegetables from ready to eat foods while carrying and storing.
● Always chill raw meat, poultry, cooked leftovers and ready to eat foods within 2 hours.
● Always cook up to the right temperature. Cook raw meat and poultry properly.
● If you rely on delivered meals then take the service from a very reliable source and try be careful to keep them safe
Follow a Healthy Diet
● Food safety and following a healthy diet go hand in hand! With age following a healthy and custom diet targeted towards wellbeing is of essential importance.
So, here you go, with these easy to digest tips from Comfort Keepers you will definitely be able to keep your digestive system safe and sound. For any type of help and support for ensuring your loved one’s well-being contact Comfort Keepers San Mateo right away!